This prompt had me stumped for a few minutes. What’s the eleventh item on your bucket list?
My response: What bucket list?
For most of my life, I was stuck between lamenting the past and experiencing anxiety about the present moment. A bucket list isn’t the type of thing I would even think of doing. It’s an interesting idea, though, so for the sake of having one, I’ll work one out here. I know these lists are supposed to be more about traveling and doing exciting things, but I’m an internal and quiet person. You’re not going to be reading about my secret desire to slay a dragon on this thing…this is more going to be a list of life goals to accomplish.
Fifteen items sound ambitious enough for me.
- Stay sober.
2. Achieve and maintain your appropriate weight.
3. Experiment with different forms of exercise and meditation. So far, you like the rowing machine, weight lifting, and yoga.
4. Maintain a regular writing habit throughout life.
5. Find people that “fan your flames”, and stay with them.
6. Be compassionate and kind to all you meet, we’re all fighting our own private wars.
7. Let your friends know how important they are and how much you love them. That’s one of those things you’ll always regret doing when you can’t anymore.
8. Consistently volunteer throughout life, and maintain an interest in your community.
9. Read one book a month.
10. Focus on your interests and passions; find more and revel in them.
11.“Invest in the human family. Invest in people. Build a little community of those you love and who love you.” – Mitch Albom
12. Start and complete a degree in Medical Coding and Billing. Maybe go to college for something else after that.
13. Maintain your integrity throughout life. Violating what you hold sacred to benefit another has never brought you any good or happiness.
14. Stay grateful.
15. Be patient with yourself and others. We’re all still learning how to be human, after all.